Subject: bug#67800: File guix-publish.service missing on foreign distro installations

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:11:13 +0100

Hi Philippe,

Philippe SWARTVAGHER <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Guix on a foreign distro, Debian, with systemd. I installed 
> Guix with the shell installer script.
>
> The documentation 
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-publish.html 
> mentions (at the bottom) that I can execute the following command to 
> enable the Guix Publish service:
>
> ln -s ~root/.guix-profile/lib/systemd/system/guix-publish.service 
> /etc/systemd/system/
>
> However, the file 
> ~root/.guix-profile/lib/systemd/system/guix-publish.service does not 
> exist (actually, ~/root/.guix-profile doesn't exist).

As a temporary workaround, you can install the `guix` package in the
root's profile.

The problem stems from the fact that the `guix pull`-built guix doesn't
include many extras that the Makefile-built guix has, like that file.
Maybe we should include it in the `guix pull` build, so that it is
easily available and updated?

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret