Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add imhex.

From: Sergio Pastor Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 23:51:17 +0200

jgart <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Sergio,
>
> It looks like this patch still needs some work from the TODO comments.
>
> Are you planning on resolving those TODO items soonish?
Hi!

I went ahead and unbundled all I could from the package. There are still
some vendored libraries that I think it's unreasonable to pacakge in
Guix, since they won't be useful for other packages. I added multiple
comments explaining why certain libraries remain bundled in the
package. You will see that, although I made Guix packages for most
libraries so they can be used by other users, for others I had to deploy
their source code in-tree. This is due to ImHex not supporting
unbundling them. After some discussions with the maintainers, the effort
required to refactor the build system to support a more modular
compilation, is out of the scope of the protect; the changes you see in
the following patches is the best I could do with a reasonable amount of
effort.

I hope this brings the package up to Guix's standards and
allows us to merge it.

Good night,
Sergio.