Subject: [bug#67755] [PATCH] gnu: Add imhex.

From: Sergio Pastor Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2024 19:02:25 +0200

Hi! Thanks for taking a look.

jgart <[email-masked]> writes:

> Are you planning on resolving those TODO items soonish?

This is what I was explaining on the version 2 of the patch. It's not
something that should be fixed at the package level. I've discussed it
with the maintainers, until they don't implement a proper way of
externalizing the handling of libraries we should be using the
submodules.

Having said that, I think the package is ready, is there any reason why
you don't find it adequate, aside from the bundled libraries? We can
remove the comments if that's what worries you.

As a side note, I tried to un-bundle the libraries and the amount of
patching that it requires is unreasonable, every library requires it's
own CMAKE find file, which is responsibility of the software
developers. This is why I say that this should be done upstream.

I suggest to merge it as it is and I will update the package definition
once ImHex properly supports using system libraries. I don't think the
maintainers have this on their priority list so I don't know how long it
could take.

I will send a v3 of this patch without the comments and without the
redundant flags.

> If you'd like to make this package easily available to others before its
> ready for upstream I would recommend creating a channel for it.

I have it already available on my channel.

Thanks for your time!
Have a good evening,
Sergio.