Subject: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:50:00 +0100

On 05/08/10 03:20, Chong Yidong wrote:

>
> It would be nice to leave boring selections alone,
 > but it doesn't seem worth it if a lot of new infrastructure
 > has to be added to handle this.
>

Well, complexity mostly arose from doing it while preserving vestiges of 
the existing lazy approach. Yes, the laziness seemed elegant, but I'm 
concerned it's a dead end - it may be easier to get everything right by 
starting out by setting the selection to a string when we want it set to 
something new, and not setting it when we don't (thereby preventing the 
select_window problems by not doing anything).

That would also mean the w32/ns select layers would need less work.

Then, [re-]reducing consing would be a desirable performance-enhancing 
optimization, but could still be approached via a lazy span reference 
into a buffer that gets stringified at pre-modification or when/if (os) 
selection servicing asks for it, only with the span acting as more of a 
drop-in replacement for the strings the selection is being set to in 
part 1, rather than being directly related to the mark/point.