Subject: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:10:05 +0100

On 04/08/10 19:25, Drew Adams wrote:

> Why not implement your changes ("improvements") as a new, optional alternative
> behavior?

While changing the defaults is certainly a new thing*, I'm sorry, but if 
you think the _option_ for the behaviour itself is new, then you have 
just been completely tuning it (and sometimes heated threads around it) 
out for some years now.   Maybe you thought it didn't matter to your 
platform or something (which would be a perhaps understandable 
assumption, though a naive one given the way the w32 and ns ports work).

select-active-regions and x-select-enable-primary  were first added to 
emacs in late 2007 (rev 83308).  They're in NEWS.23

mouse-drag-copy-region was apparently added in 2004 (rev 55223)), it's 
in NEWS.22

Using them to produce the desired behaviour has also been documented on 
EmacsWiki/CopyAndPaste since early '08 too, not that that's official 
documentation, just illustrating this is not new (people choosing to 
switch it on are rather less likely to do things that break it, though).