Subject: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:25:43 -0700

> > Ok, I just did (setq x-select-enable-primary t) and now things work
> > much better.
> 
> It's important to include such instructions in etc/NEWS.
> The current text is "too close to the code", i.e. it 
> documents the code changes more than the resulting behavior changes.
> 
> I also noticed another change wrt selection: double-click and 
> then drag only does "word-chunked selection" on the initial
> double-click but not on the susequent drag.

Why change the default behavior (esp. with no emacs-devel proposal and
discussion)?

Why not implement your changes ("improvements") as a new, optional alternative
behavior?  And then document _that_ in NEWS etc.  IOW document whatever options
you need to change to get the new behavior, instead of documenting what you need
to do to get back the old behavior.

If enough people like it and use it over time then we can consider changing the
default behavior to it.  That's the normal way to proceed for any significant
behavior change.

This seems to be a fundamental change to Emacs selection etc.  It merits
discussion, experimentation, and time trial.