Subject: Re: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:45:49 +0100

On 03/08/10 16:31, Miles Bader wrote:
> hmm... it sounds like that won't actually restore the previous behavior:
> previously emacs transparently worked with _both_ the selection and
> the clipboard -- e.g., C-y would insert either the primary selection
> or the clipboard (or from the emacs kill-ring), whichever was more
> recent.
>
> that's the behavior I want.
>

Um, you're thinking of certain of your own customisations that you 
yourself mentioned a few days back on emacs-devel.  The old defaults
didn't do that either.

So you need to (notionally) revert to the old defaults as given, then 
reapply your customisations, which shouldn't be hard in this case:  I 
believe the  difference is kust that you operated with both 
x-select-enable-primary and x-select-enable-clipboard turned on at once, 
which causes x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value to try to be "clever".

(Note I wanted the settings all boolean customisations was because it 
would become possible to use an "old x11 defaults" customization theme 
with them - bindings aren't included in customization themes).