Subject: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:24:32 +0200

>> Because the behavior we want is that "if the user has seen the region
>> highlighted, then it has been selected".
> Ah, I see.  You wrote:
>> I just really don't want to see it implemented in
>> set_point_both, and I'm not excited to seeing it in
>> command_loop_1 either.
> So, are you happy with seeing that in redisplay?

Yes.  And I'd be even much happier if it is in Elisp, via a hook that
can be used for other things as well (well, the x-set-selection wouldn't
be on the hook, so that the hook stays nil by default, but the redisplay
code could call a (before|after)-redisplay Elisp function which can do
that x-set-selection as well as run a hook).

> If so, the call of x-set-selection in command_loop_1 for
> handling shift-selection should also go to redisplay.

Yes.

> At least the current place is not good because it doesn't pay
> attention to point-adjustment done after "finilize:" label.  When it
> is done in redisplay, that bug is automatically fixed.

Exactly,

        Stefan