Subject: Re: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:59:41 +0100

On 17/08/10 13:14, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> They are both equally bad.  I think we should add a hook to redisplay
>>> that gets called whenever selection is non-zero.  Then that hook can
>>> do the right thing.
>> Why should redisplay concern selection?
>
> Because the behavior we want is that "if the user has seen the region
> highlighted, then it has been selected".

I'd be wary doing it in redisplay might do it "too much" just like the 
old buffer-lazy implementation.

Chong Yidong mentioned it on emacs-devel:

 > It's a convincing argument, leaving the issue of efficiency aside for
 > the moment.  The rule, however, should be something like:

 >If you _change_ a selected region in Emacs (no matter how it was
 > selected), it's available as the primary.

 > That's because if you make a selected region in one application, and
 > then select some text in a second application, the second application
 > grabs primary.