Subject: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:59:39 +0200

Stefan Monnier skrev 2010-08-10 17.54:
>> I think it should and so does the applications that claim to
>> conform. Pressing Shift-Left Arrow starts a selection in those
>> X applications, and that sets PRIMARY.  C-SPC C-f is Emacs way of doing
>> shift-selection as I see it.
>
> We don't have to treat shift-selection in the same way that we treat
> C-SPC C-f.

No, but wouldn't that be confusing?  Why not treat selection the same 
regardless of how it was made?  Is it for backwards compability?

>
>> But emacs 23.1 at least does not do this for shift-selection.  That is
>> unlike the other X apps.  Why not take ownership of PRIMARY in this case?
>> It is not as it is a performance issue.  You don't have to copy the text
>> until someone asks for it.
>
> C-SPC may be used for other purposes (e.g. C-SPC C-SPC)

In that case the selection would be empty, one should not take ownership of 
PRIMARY in that case.

	Jan D.