Subject: Re: bug#6774: Cut and paste with C-w/mouse-2 not working?

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:50:19 -0400

David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well, select-active-regions was introduced (though not made default)
> rather before the ^-type shift-selection appeared AFAIK.  From my
> perspective, it would be breaking something that was largely working
> as initially intended and (unlike with the general defaults change)
> not giving the option of having it work the way it did* anymore (well,
> apart from patching it in locally, I'm hardly incapable of doing
> that).

I've checked in some changes that should (fingers crossed) fix the
"empty selection" problem.  This also eliminates the use of
x-set-selection to buffer variables, as you suggested.  Now, Emacs
copies strings out explicitly in the command loop and in
`deactivate-mark'.

I added a new value to `select-active-regions', `lazy' (the default),
which means to set the selection only when used, as described in an
earlier email.  Any other non-nil value gives something similar to the
original behavior of select-active-regions.