Subject: [bug#67722] [PATCH v2] gnu: libtorrent-rasterbar: Remove timeout for tests.

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 00:03:05 +0100

On 2023-12-12 09:11:07 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> What’s the rationale though?
>
> If we know that tests, individually, are meant to take less than 10mn,
> it still seems nicer to stop at 10mn rather than wait for the 1h
> max-silent timeout, no?

Originally the rationale was to just try it out and see if it works in the CI or
not.  The timeout was not originally there, I added it during fixing of the
tests so I wondered if it was a mistake.  Since the QA is still in "Pending",
jury is still out on that one.

I do not know enough about the architecture and utilization of the build
machines to be sure, so one of my hypotheses was that the machine might have
been overloaded during the test run causing the timeout.  So I wanted to test
it.  (I sent this as #67693 at first, but I think the CI got confused by the WIP
prefix.  I am not sure what is a way to mark patches intended to check the CI,
but not necessarily intended to be merged.  Sorry you wasted the time reviewing
this, I did not expect anyone to look until the CI passes.)

In the mean time I was running the build locally to see if I can reproduce the
hang and I can.  After running for couple of hours in a loop the build failed
with the timeout (not sure on what round, guix build --rounds does not tell
that).

So it seems like the test_ssl is just prone to sporadic failures.  Since we both
succeeded in building locally, I assume we just got unlucky (or lucky?) in the
CI.

I am currently testing a v3, and once it passes --rounds=64 (which will take a
while) I will sent it as an updated patch.

Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.