Subject: Re: bug#67718: 30.0.50; prog-fill-reindent-defun vs. fill-paragraph for strings and comments

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 05:11:02 +0200

On 08/12/2023 23:53, Jens Schmidt wrote:
>    "any" prog mode
>      "after a string"|

This might be a good idea.

>      |
>      "on an empty line before a string"

It's not obvious to me that filling would be preferable to reindenting, 
in this case.

>        This one could differ in a treesitter mode, I guess.
> 
>        sql-mode doesn't even have <-comments, so you always have to move
>        point*into*  a comment to get it filled.  BTW, exactly like
>        javascript-mode, which is a bit more important, probably:

So we could look for 1-2 more different comment syntaxes, right? And 
maybe string openers.

Would you like to propose a small patch?

>      (foo bar baz ?\|; baz bar foo)
> 
>        So this goes the other direction: If you M-q here and expect the
>        line or surrounding function to be indented, you will get
>        disappointed, because the heuristics detects this as a comment
>        that needs to be filled.

In this case it's easy enough to understand what's going on, I think, 
and move out of the string. But other suggestions welcome.