Subject: Re: bug#67715: 28.2; Minibuffer content is sometimes unexpectedly partially hidden

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2025 20:49:28 +0000

Hello, Eli and Markus.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2025 at 11:38:03 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Ping!  Alan, could you please chime in?

> > From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked], Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 12:09:23 +0100

> > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > > I think we made the mini-window resize in more situations.  I cannot
> > > be sure, though: too many years have passed.  Sorry.

> > No problem, thank you regardless! I have now pinpointed the issue to
> > commit dfa3e6f424b20fe27d9041b2ce7d69811df5d8cd:

More informatively:

commit dfa3e6f424b20fe27d9041b2ce7d69811df5d8cd
Author: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri May 20 20:18:38 2022 +0000

    Restore the Fselect_window call in gui_consider_frame_title.

> > The example works before this commit, and stops working after this
> > commit. The commit addresses #55412. I am CC-ing you Alan, and would
> > greatly appreciate if you could look into this issue, also gladly
> > offlist if you have any questions regarding the application, so as
> > not to bother the list further with this issue which is already
> > tagged as WONTFIX.

I think I would rather that discussions continue in the thread for this
bug.

2022 is a long time ago, and the patch was in one of the more arcane
areas of Emacs.  I'm not completely sure what the problem is - I've had a
look at the thread in debbugs/67715, without absorbing it fully, but I'm
not entirely sure what it's about.

I think it was something to do with inserting oversized text
programmatically into a minibuffer, and wanting its miniwindow to enlarge
to display the text.

> > If there is any way to resolve this so that the original snippet
> > keeps working also in newer Emacs versions, I would greatly
> > appreciate your help!

As you say, the bug was closed as won't fix, I think mainly because it
would have been too difficult to fix without causing other problems.

Why is it so important to fix it?

> > Thank you all for your help, and all the best,
> > Markus

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).