Subject: bug#67715: 28.2; Minibuffer content is sometimes unexpectedly partially hidden

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:12:57 +0100

> I'm adding Martin to this discussion in the hope that he could have
 > some ideas.

I've been going back through your earlier comments and found:

 > The basic technical reason for what you see is that redisplay is
 > inhibited when with-selected-window returns and restores the selected
 > window, which is in your case the opportunity to resize the
 > mini-window.  When redisplay is inhibited, the code which resizes the
 > mini-window returns without doing anything.  So one way of fixing this
 > would be to try to avoid with-selected-window, and instead use some
 > other way of achieving what you want to do.

I doubt that this is the problem because

(let ((f (selected-frame)))
   (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "other")
     (make-frame))
   (select-frame-set-input-focus f)
   (with-current-buffer (window-buffer (minibuffer-window))
     (unwind-protect
         (progn
           (setq-local face-remapping-alist `((default :height 2.0)))
           (insert "hello")
	  (read-key))
       (erase-buffer))))

doesn't resize the minibuffer either.  IIUC Markus was just lucky that
this worked earlier because then the frame title code resized the
minibuffer window.  After the fix of Bug#24285 it doesn't do that any
more.

martin