Subject: bug#67715: 28.2; Minibuffer content is sometimes unexpectedly partially hidden

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 08:04:40 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Why did you expect the mini-window to resize in this case?

The Emacs Lisp documentation states in section 21.1:

    The minibuffer’s window is normally a single line; it grows
    automatically if the contents require more space.

I therefore expected it to grow automatically in the case I posted,
especially also because this is done in many Emacs versions before 28.2,
such as 26.1, 26.2, 26.3, 27.1, 27.2 and 28.1.

> find another way of ensuring the enlarged text is visible, in your
>
I added (fit-window-to-buffer) after inserting the text, and still the
text is not fully visible. fit-window-to-buffer is documented as:

    Adjust size of WINDOW to display its buffer’s contents exactly.

I would greatly prefer if Emacs works as documented. Should I file a
separate issue for this, or is this also a case of wontfix? Is there any
way to solve the issue?

Thank you a lot!
Markus