Subject: bug#67713: closed (Re: bug#67713: [PATCH] 30.0.50; Small change to display.texi)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 11:08:01 +0000

Your bug report

#67713: [PATCH] 30.0.50; Small change to display.texi

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67713: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67713
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67713: [PATCH] 30.0.50; Small change to display.texi
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 13:06:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 17:43:09 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Thanks, but why is it so important to follow the order in the @item?
> 
> One point (which is minor) is that my brain can parse that information
> easier if they are in order.  The major point is that couple of lines
> above in display.texi (and also in other places in the manual), the
> information is provided in that order:
> 
> @item @code{(:color @var{color} :style @var{style} :position @var{position})}
> @var{color} is either a string, or the symbol @code{foreground-color},
> meaning the foreground color of the face.  Omitting the attribute
> @code{:color} means to use the foreground color of the face.
> @var{style} should be a symbol @code{line} or @code{wave}, meaning to
> use a straight or wavy line.  Omitting the attribute @code{:style}
> means to use a straight line.  @var{position}, if non-@code{nil}, means to
> display the underline at the descent of the text, instead of at the
> baseline level.  If it is a number, then it specifies the amount of
> pixels above the descent to display the underline.
> 
> But I'm easy, feel free to reject; it is really a minor issue.

I installed this on the emacs-29 branch, and I'm closing this bug.

Thanks.

Subject: [PATCH] 30.0.50; Small change to display.texi
From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
To: "emacs-bugs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 17:03:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

I'd like to suggest a small change to display.texi where the text
follows the code in line 2725 (line break added for legibility):

  @item @code{(:line-width (@var{vwidth} . @var{hwidth})
               :color @var{color} :style @var{style})}

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
diff --git a/doc/lispref/display.texi b/doc/lispref/display.texi
index 4dbb4afb20d..2056b8552da 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/display.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/display.texi
@@ -2735,16 +2735,16 @@ Face Attributes
 single number @var{n} instead of a list, such case is equivalent to
 @code{((abs @var{n}) . @var{n})}.

+The value @var{color} specifies the color to draw with.  The default
+is the background color of the face for 3D boxes and
+@code{flat-button}, and the foreground color of the face for other
+boxes.
+
 The value @var{style} specifies whether to draw a 3D box.  If it is
 @code{released-button}, the box looks like a 3D button that is not
 being pressed.  If it is @code{pressed-button}, the box looks like a
 3D button that is being pressed.  If it is @code{nil},
 @code{flat-button} or omitted, a plain 2D box is used.
-
-The value @var{color} specifies the color to draw with.  The default
-is the background color of the face for 3D boxes and
-@code{flat-button}, and the foreground color of the face for other
-boxes.
 @end table

 @item :inverse-video
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best, Arash