Subject: bug#67707: closed (Re: bug#67707: Fresh installation leaks details about ISO build environment)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 05 May 2025 22:25:02 +0000

Your bug report

#67707: Fresh installation leaks details about ISO build environment

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67707: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67707
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67707: Fresh installation leaks details about ISO build environment
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Rutherther via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 00:23:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Rutherther via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Oh right, it’s probably best to change it there.  Something like this?
>
> Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind.

OK, pushed as 94c9e53fa4b45e85c1664a9bab6aea0d5c3ac123.

I checked in ‘guix system vm gnu/system/install.scm’ that ‘guix
describe’ reports the right URL.

> Btw I am wondering, is there a policy on (not) updating the released
> iso?

Release artifacts in general are immutable.  But of course, we should
make a new release, that’s consensual.  :-)

>> I’m not sure I follow: even if one uses a mirror of Savannah, downgrade
>> prevention works fine.  Or are you referring to some other motivation?
>
> I agree that the prevention works fine even with a mirror. What I wanted
> to say is that sometimes it can't work. Like if a repository hosting is
> down or you don't have internet connection. That is, if the checkout
> (usually the one of root) doesn't contain the commit. Lately, it shows
> because savannah is down very often. So one pulls successfully, but then
> can't reconfigure, because savannah is down again. This is because root
> has a separate checkout.

Oh right, got it.  Hopefully this particular issue will vanish if we
decide to move to Codeberg (GCD 002).

> Even if it didn't, if the checkouts are removed, the user can't
> reconfigure if repo hosting is down.  This just feels like an
> unnecessary limitation - why not allow the user to say: yes, this is a
> forward update, don't check, ie. --disable-forward-update-check.

I was going to say that it’s called ‘--allow-downgrades’, but in fact
no, because that still clones/pulls to perform the check and emit a
warning (instead of an error).  Still, maybe it could catch clone/pull
errors?

Anyway, that’s for another bug report. :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: Fresh installation leaks details about ISO build environment
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 14:11:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On a fresh installation of 1.4.0, we get:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# guix system describe
Génération 1    08 déc. 2023 10:39:47   (actuelle)
  nom de fichier : /var/guix/profiles/system-1-link
  nom de fichier canonique : /gnu/store/d8g35zgpcg0k42jlxi3pda59nx3cgmhl-system
  étiquette : GNU with Linux-Libre 6.0.10
  chargeur de démarrage : grub
  périphérique racine : UUID : d17c4651-b142-4802-9d70-b018ee72c58e
  noyau : /gnu/store/3qdad0k7wvwl09wah246q7fvsb1hbr0x-linux-libre-6.0.10/bzImage
  canaux :
    guix:
      URL du dépôt : /home/ludo/src/guix/+version-1.4.0/
      branche : version-1.4.0
      commit : 989a3916dc8967bcb7275f10452f89bc6c3389cc
  fichier de configuration : /gnu/store/ram19r21j1rp0pfkdadmi3a6jp24fy36-configuration.scm
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Oops!

That the URL is wrong doesn’t have any impact because it’s not used by
‘guix pull’ or anything, but it’s obviously not great.

Ludo’.