Subject: Re: bug#67702: 30.0.50; insert-register can no longer be used in minibuffer

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 10:07:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>

>> > Agreed.  But again: please consider reworking your patch such that it
>> > allows using the minibuffer as optional behavior.  After all, using
>> > the minibuffer has also advantages, not just disadvantages.
>>
>> I don't see these advantages.
>
> Well, Thierry does, so let's assume that some others will as well.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I hope it's clear I'm just
trying to help avoid a regression in Emacs 30.

Now, if Thierry would be kind enough to share those use cases, that
might allow for a more productive discussion.

> in general, assuming that others are definitely wrong is not always a
> useful stance in such discussions.

Of course, I don't assume that, I apologize if that was the impression
that came across.  Note that my very next sentence was:

  If someone would spell out these advantages, I could look into it when
  I have the time.

> It is better to let each one to use the behavior they like, if that is
> feasible, and agree to disagree about the rest.

Yes, that'd be great.  But currently on the master branch the previous
behavior is nowhere to be found.  What I (and others, I think) ask for
is restoring the previous behavior, in full, at least optionally.  If my
patch isn't good enough, and there's another solution at hand, that's
absolutely fine.

Thanks,

Eshel