Subject: bug#67702: 30.0.50; insert-register can no longer be used in minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 09:52:46 +0200

> From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 08:31:15 +0100
> 
> >> > I guess register-read-with-preview should temporarily bind
> >> > enable-recursive-minibuffers to a non-nil value?
> >>
> >> Yes, do you want me to install this change?
> >
> > If you think that's the correct solution, sure.
> 
> FWIW, I think it's not the right solution.  As I wrote in bug#66394, I
> think it's wrong to involve the minibuffer in reading registers in any
> way.  `enable-recursive-minibuffers` would make this less broken, but
> only slightly.

I'm not sure I understand: if we put aside the fundamental opposition
to using read-from-minibuffer, what problems will be left if we
temporarily enable recursive-minibuffers while prompting for the
register?

> It's up to you maintainers to decide, I think.  Following your request,
> I've proposed a patch that reverts Thierry's changes, and implements the
> parts I find useful in a clean and backward compatible way.

Thierry said your patch was incomplete.  And I wonder why we need to
completely revert his changes.  My suggestion was to allow both,
controlled by user option.  Then we could see what users prefer, and
make the decision: whether to keep both or just one, and which one.  I
very much prefer this path forward than continuing to argue now which
of the two ways is the only one that's correct.

> > If it's unrelated, then please go ahead and install your changes in
> > that discussion.  In any case, perhaps you could help Eshel improve
> > and polish his additions, which AFAIU are supposed to provide an
> > optional behavior more similar to the previous one.
> 
> That'd be nice, thanks.

Agreed.  But again: please consider reworking your patch such that it
allows using the minibuffer as optional behavior.  After all, using
the minibuffer has also advantages, not just disadvantages.