Subject: bug#67702: 30.0.50; insert-register can no longer be used in minibuffer

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 08:31:15 +0100

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Kun Liu <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 07:04:53 +0000
>>
>> >> 1) Save some text in register a
>> >> 2) M-x query-replace
>> >> 3) in the minibuffer, type C-x r i
>> >> 4) got error: "byte-code: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer"

Yes, this regression is one of the issues I pointed at with the recent
`register-read-with-preview` changes.

>> > I guess register-read-with-preview should temporarily bind
>> > enable-recursive-minibuffers to a non-nil value?
>>
>> Yes, do you want me to install this change?
>
> If you think that's the correct solution, sure.

FWIW, I think it's not the right solution.  As I wrote in bug#66394, I
think it's wrong to involve the minibuffer in reading registers in any
way.  `enable-recursive-minibuffers` would make this less broken, but
only slightly.

>> I have also a pending patch to apply for bug#66394 (see it there).
>
> You said you will install that if no one objects.  I'm not sure what
> was the conclusion of the discussion with Eshel about that.

It's up to you maintainers to decide, I think.  Following your request,
I've proposed a patch that reverts Thierry's changes, and implements the
parts I find useful in a clean and backward compatible way.

> If it's unrelated, then please go ahead and install your changes in
> that discussion.  In any case, perhaps you could help Eshel improve
> and polish his additions, which AFAIU are supposed to provide an
> optional behavior more similar to the previous one.

That'd be nice, thanks.

Best,

Eshel