Subject: Re: bug#67687: Feature request: automatic tags management

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:09:16 +0200

On 02/01/2024 12:41, Francesco Potortì wrote:
>> a) We won't add new files to the index, because we (apparently) can't
>> simply use the project's list of files -- there is no guarantee that it
>> matches the fileset that the original author of the TAGS file had in mind.
>>
>> b) There is no way to pick up the --regex options used for generating
>> the original TAGS, or any other options we don't know about. So if we
>> were to just use the logic of regenerating tags for newly changed files,
>> we would end up with a mix of tags in some files based on the set of
>> --regex used in the past, and with tags for new files based on the
>> configured set of --regex options.
> Maybe the TAGS files should contain information to regenerate them?

It would ideally need something more nuanced, like a list of globs to 
match and a list of globs to ignore, so that, for example, new files 
could also be added to the index.

And also the directory structure(s) involved (see my previous example of 
two dirs side-by-side)... overall, this seems like a difficult direction 
to proceed when we have an automatic approach for generating tags with 
its own settings already.