Subject: bug#67687: Feature request: automatic tags management

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 19:39:16 +0200

> Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 19:23:28 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 01/01/2024 18:50, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> +The exception is made when the user has already selected a tags
> >> +table manually (for example, using \\[visit-tags-table]).  Then
> >> +this mode doesn't do anything.  Reset the visited tags tables
> >> +using \\[tags-reset-tags-tables]."
> > 
> > The above is only true for the project whose TAGS was manually
> > visited, right?  IOW, it's not that once the use invokes
> > visit-tags-table once, this mode will be effectively disabled for the
> > entire session, right?
> 
> No, it's the latter. It's off for the whole session, just like a visited 
> TAGS file is active for the whole session (not limited to any specific 
> project).

OK, then please tweak my suggested text to explain the situation
correctly instead.

> a tags file, in general, can't always be attributed to a specific
> project.

That's too bad, IMO, but it's a separate issue.  One of the annoyances
I had with tags was that it was difficult to have several independent
tags tables loaded, each one for a different set of sources.  I hoped
that project.el has solved this already, but I guess we are not there
yet.