Subject: Re: [bug#67686] [PATCH core-updates 4/5] gnu: glibc: Install C.UTF-8 locale.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 11:30:10 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> +                     ;; Install the C.UTF-8 locale so there's always a UTF-8
> +                     ;; locale around.
> +                     (let* ((out (assoc-ref outputs "out"))
> +                            (bin (string-append out "/bin"))
> +                            (locale (string-append out "/lib/locale/"
> +                                                   ,(package-version
> +                                                     this-package))))
> +                       (mkdir-p locale)
> +                       (invoke (string-append bin "/localedef")
> +                               "--no-archive" "--prefix" locale
> +                               "-i" "C" "-f" "UTF-8"
> +                               (string-append locale "/C.UTF-8")))))

I realize now that this cannot work when cross-compiling, because the
this ‘localedef’ binary is not executable on the build machine.

I suspect libc builds an additional ‘localedef’ for the build machine
but I’m not sure where it is, hmm…

Ludo’.