Subject: bug#67667: wrong phrasing in installation wizard seen in emacs-29.1_2-installer.exe

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:31:08 -0600

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 11:54 AM Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 11:37 AM Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > [email-masked] writes:
> >
> > > This screenshot says it all.  http://0x0.st/H3iS.png
> > >
> > > As I understand it, it is not a requirement of GPLv3 that the user
> > > "accept" the "terms" of the "agreement" in order to perform an
> > > installation.
> > >
> > > I recommend removing the "if you accept ..." language and changing the
> > > "I Agree" button to just "OK" or "Noted...", or "Next".
> >
> > Corwin, what do you think?
> >
>
> I agree.  Let's patch it.
>

I've taken a first -entirely "functional"- swing.  WDYT?

This should be a comparable screen-shot to yours, sebboh.
  https://bru.st/i/emacs-30.0.50-installer-NEW_WjvTInvkeC.png

This folder on contains the usual items for a Windows snapshot build
unaltered vs rev dc1f18, plus a few more:
  https://corwin.bru.st/emacs-30/emacs-30-dc1f18

The "extra" items are:
  emacs-30.0.50-installer-NEW.exe - build with patch applied
  emacs.patched.nsi - installer script after applying patch
  0001_windows_installer_license_verbage.patch - this patch:

--- /g/emacs-29/admin/nt/dist-build/emacs.nsi 2023-09-05
03:56:12.381580000 -0500
+++ emacs.nsi 2024-01-11 02:00:31.143091400 -0600
@@ -10,7 +10,7 @@
 Var StartMenuFolder

-!define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TITLE "Emacs"
+!define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TITLE "Emacs ${EMACS_VERSION} Setup"
 !define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TITLE_3LINES
 !define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TEXT "Welcome to Emacs -- the editor of a lifetime."

@@ -20,8 +20,11 @@

 !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME

-
-!define MUI_LICENSEPAGE_TEXT_TOP "The GNU General Public License"
+!define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_TEXT "Emacs is Free Software"
+!define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_SUBTEXT "A component of the GNU operating system."
+!define MUI_LICENSEPAGE_TEXT_TOP "This program is free software."
+!define MUI_LICENSEPAGE_TEXT_BOTTOM "You can redistribute this
program and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3
of the License (as above), or (at your option) any later version."
+!define MUI_LICENSEPAGE_BUTTON "OK"
 !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_LICENSE
"emacs-${VERSION_BRANCH}\share\emacs\${EMACS_VERSION}\lisp\COPYING"

 !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY