Subject: Re: [bug#67655] [PATCH]: Update webkitgtk to 2.42.3

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:56:18 +0100

Am Dienstag, dem 12.12.2023 um 10:15 +0200 schrieb André A. Gomes:
> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The webkitgtk-* family collectively accounts for more than 600
> > rebuilds, three of them being webkit (i.e. you'll wait 10 hours
> > while your machine nearly dies grasping for more RAM).  Even with a
> > graft, I'd first verify that it builds on CI.
> > 
> > Plus, I don't see how this series accounts for webkitgtk-next, i.e.
> > the GTK4 variant.  We have that over at gnome-team already, but a
> > nontrivial amount of work went into getting it into a functional
> > state.
> > I've cherry-picked them onto a wip-webkit branch now.  Hopefully we
> > can merge that faster than gnome itself.
> 
> As Leo mentioned, WebKitGTK updates are paramount from a security
> point of view.  But I understand the constraints that Liliana
> mentions.  Is there anything I can do to help?  It's hard for me to
> grasp the full picture that you describe.  Thanks.
Looking at QA [1] and fixing freshly failing builds as they come along
would be a great help.  Vivien mentioned in both IRC and XMPP that our
old Epiphany fails, so we gotta bump that to a newer version.  I don't
see any other gnome-critical rebuilds (yet), but am staying tuned for
more to come.

Cheers

[1] https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/wip-webkit