Subject: [bug#67655] [PATCH]: Update webkitgtk to 2.42.3

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 20:55:40 +0100

Am Freitag, dem 08.12.2023 um 13:41 -0500 schrieb Leo Famulari:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2023 at 07:08:28PM +0100, Liliana Marie Prikler
> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, this is a GNOME rebuild, so I'm reluctant to push
> > this directly to master.  What's more, we can not even graft it
> > because the GTK4 Typelib changed.  Sorry :(
> 
> WebKitGTK is a security-sensitive package with frequent potential for
> arbitrary code execution via web content.
And we normally have the grafting mechanism for just that.  The problem
with WebkitGTK 2.42 is that paths change, so we can't graft it.

> My advice is to push it to master ASAP. We used to be able to do
> that, btw.

>From the manual:
> Changes which affect more than 300 dependent packages (*note Invoking
> guix refresh::) should first be pushed to a topic branch other than
> ‘master’
The webkitgtk-* family collectively accounts for more than 600
rebuilds, three of them being webkit (i.e. you'll wait 10 hours while
your machine nearly dies grasping for more RAM).  Even with a graft,
I'd first verify that it builds on CI.

Plus, I don't see how this series accounts for webkitgtk-next, i.e. the
GTK4 variant.  We have that over at gnome-team already, but a
nontrivial amount of work went into getting it into a functional state.
I've cherry-picked them onto a wip-webkit branch now.  Hopefully we can
merge that faster than gnome itself.

Cheers