Subject: bug#67654: 29.1; Hiding menu bar makes new frames very small

From: Roshan Shariff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 00:52:08 -0700

This bug appears on Linux with the Xorg and Xwayland servers, and I've
tested it on Gnome 45.  To reproduce

$ emacs -Q --eval='(menu-bar-mode -1)'
Invoke make-frame-command (C-x 5 2)

The initial frame is correctly sized, but any new frames are very small.
The frame-parameter function reports their size to be 22x10.  Evaluating
(set-frame-size nil 80 40) in the newly created frame does resize it
correctly, and adding that code to after-make-frame-functions works
around this bug.  Re-enabling the menu bar also makes new frames
correctly sized.

The same problem happens in daemon mode.  If the menu bar is disabled
with emacsclient -e '(menu-bar-mode -1)' immediately after starting the
daemon, the first frame created via emacsclient -c is correctly sized
but all subsequent frames are tiny.

I was able to find similar reports on the Emacs StackExchange site:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/77667/emacs-starts-in-extremely-tiny-window

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-09-24 built on
 e1d0f5fdfea948b9bb25e212c9c623e4
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302002
System Description: Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter --with-sqlite3
 --with-webp --with-xinput2 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pp cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib server rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79320 11837)
 (symbols 48 7249 0)
 (strings 32 19886 1256)
 (string-bytes 1 606876)
 (vectors 16 16445)
 (vector-slots 8 338535 20511)
 (floats 8 50 37)
 (intervals 56 331 0)
 (buffers 984 12))