Subject: Re: bug#67654: 29.1; Hiding menu bar makes new frames very small

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 20:33:59 +0800

Roshan Shariff <[email-masked]> writes:

> I found that this bug occurs regardless of menu-bar-mode when I'm
> running without 2x desktop scaling, tested at 1920x1080 or 3840x2160
> screen resolutions. In those cases, all newly created frames are tiny
> regardless of whether menu-bar-mode is enabled or not.
>
> The correlation with menu-bar-mode happens only when running at 2x
> scaling with 3840x2160 resolution.
>
> I was also able to reproduce this bug in a freshly installed Fedora 39
> virtual machine, with emacs 29.1 from the distribution repository. I
> also noted that the emacs-lucid build doesn't suffer from this issue,
> only the GTK build.

Yes, I'm aware of this problem.  But I've never successfully reproduced
it myself, and the GTK build is not important to me, so my
recommendation is to use some other build, preferably the no toolkit
one.

Let's leave this bug open for now, on the off chance a good Samaritan
devises a fix.