Subject: Re: [PATCH v6] Add option Info-url-alist

From: Orhan Kemal Yüksel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 01:41:19 +0000

On January 20, 2024 1:50:22 AM GMT+01:00, Mekeor Melire <[email-masked]> wrote:
>2024-01-13 11:51 [email-masked]:
>
>> > From: Mekeor Melire <[email-masked]>
>> > Cc: [email-masked]
>> > Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 21:56:03 +0000
>
>> I was going to install this, but it causes info-tests in the test
>> suite to fail:
>
>> If we want the result to include the "html" extension (which might not
>> be correct, since perhaps we could have Minibuffer.htm?), then please
>> update the test.  Otherwise, it sounds like the code needs some
>> adjustment to behave as before?
>
>I vote for keeping the ".html" suffix because I can imagine that Texinfo
>creates only files with that suffix and it's depends on the web-server
>and its configuration if the file is also served when the suffix is
>missed in the URL.
>
>Unfortunately, I was not able to verify this in the Texinfo
>documentation or source code.
>
>I had to make another adjustment info-test.el to make the test succeed:
>Previously, Info-node-for-url failed when the passed manual-name was
>neither "emacs" nor "elisp". In particular, it failed for "gnus". Now
>that "gnus" is a handled manual-name, it succeeds. But it should still
>error when the manual-name is not handled (by the default value of the
>newly introduced Info-url-alist).
>
>> Please also improve the commit log message to mention all the changes,
>> not just the new option.  See CONTRIBUTE for details, and you can use
>> "git log" to see many examples of how we do that.
>
>I gave my best.
>

I will send another version of the patch. The %e provided to URL-SPECs in Info-url-alist should not contain the ".html"-suffix. Since we know that the webserver of gnu.org does serve the docs even if the URL omits the HTML-suffix, we should prefer that shorter version since it's easier on the eyes (and better e.g. for IRC etc.).

Sorry for the noise.