Subject: bug#67615: [PATCH v2] * lisp/info.el (Info-url-for-node): Support all Emacs info manuals.

From: Mekeor Melire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 11:56:34 +0000

2023-12-07 09:19 [email-masked]:

> We decided first to support manuals that come with Emacs, and Gawk's
> manual doesn't.
>
> Supporting all GNU manuals is a much larger job, since there's no
> single base URL from which they all can be reached (although many of
> them can be reached from the GNU site).  Also, the arrangement of the
> manuals of the other packages is slightly different from that of
> Emacs, which needs more specialized processing.

It would be of great help if the administrators of gnu.org could provide
a strict pattern for online-manual-URLs on gnu.org. Additionally, it'd
be nice if gnu.org would not only provide the manual for the latest
version of GNU packages, but also for prior versions. This would allow
Emacs' info.el to browse the version-matching online-manual
corresponding to the locally-installed, currently-read Emacs-included
manual. But all of this needs to be discussed on another mailing-list,
related to the administration of gnu.org.

> So I think for now it should be enough to have only the Emacs manuals
> by default, and let users add more associations for other packages if
> they like.

By the way, I'm planning to release a FSF-assigned Emacs-package
providing more associations.