Subject: Re: bug#67611: [PATCH] Add a Pcase pattern `cl-lambda` equivalent to `cl-destructuring-bind`

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:12:43 -0800

severity 67611 wishlist
tags 67611 + notabug wontfix
close 67611
thanks

Okamsn <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Because I wrote this patch with the thought that others might want it, I
> don't have any nontrivial examples to share right now. The best example
> I have for the use of the optional arguments is for the implementing of
> the optional arguments, which isn't very convincing.
>
> I've updated the patch to rename the pattern to `cl-arglist` and to
> avoid creating intermediate variables using the `let` pattern, but I'm
> fine with resting the discussion here until a stronger argument can be
> made in favor of the patch.
>
> Thank you.

Thanks for the patch.  I can only echo the sentiment already given here,
that making `pcase' more complex won't do much for its popularity.

It sounds like we mostly agree that no change should be made here, at
least not for the moment, so I'm inclined to close this one as wontfix.
It's always awkward to have to say no to a well-reasoned patch, but
sometimes a decision has to be made.  I hope you can understand, and
apologies for not accepting your patch.  I'm closing the bug with this
message.

Thank you again for contributing.