Subject: bug#67609: 29.1; (eglot-inlay-hints-mode -1) behaves surprisingly, does not work in cc-mode hooks

From: Morgon Kanter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:37:42 -0500

> > To reproduce, visit a C++ buffer in a project, run M-x eglot. Inlay
> > hints will appear. Kill and reopen the buffer. Inlay hints will
> > appear.
>
> To achieve your desired behaviour, read my advice in the last email,
> thanks.

Fair enough. I understand now that the correct and expected way to
disable this is the way you have described. Since the behavior appears
surprising though, and it looks like the only such eglot-related mode
command is eglot-inlay-hints-mode, could something like this quote be
added to the manual for eglot-inlay-hints-mode?

"Eglot will turn on eglot-inlay-hints-mode after setting up, which
happens after most mode hooks are run. To disable it, you should run
(eglot-inlay-hints-mode -1) in eglot-managed-mode-hook, rather than
your buffer's major mode hooks."

This should hopefully stop bug reports like mine in the future.

Thanks,
-- Morgon