Subject: Re: bug#67583: Error triggered by my init file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:13:53 +0200

tags 67583 notabug
thanks

> From: Vin Shelton <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:32:09 -0500
> 
> From latest git sources, starting (IIRC) 2023-12-01:
> 
> ⛔ Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading ‘/home/acs/.config/emacs/init.el’:
> 
> error: Invalid face box, :line-width, 2, :color, #002732, :style, unspecified
> 
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace.
> 
> This runs without error in earlier versions.  Please let me know if you'd like more detail.

It is a bug in your init file: the value of :style cannot be
'unspecified'.  The ELisp manual says:

          The value STYLE specifies whether to draw a 3D box.  If it is
          ‘released-button’, the box looks like a 3D button that is not
          being pressed.  If it is ‘pressed-button’, the box looks like
          a 3D button that is being pressed.  If it is ‘nil’,
          ‘flat-button’ or omitted, a plain 2D box is used.

So I guess you meant to use nil?

The reason this worked before is because there was a bug in validating
the :box attribute of faces, and now that bug is fixed, so invalid
definitions of :box are now rejected.

This is not a bug in Emacs.