Subject: python-pytest-sanic 1.9.1 is not building

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 18:46:38 +0000

Hello Guix team. I was trying to build platformio for Guix but I am 
struggling with one of its dependencies:

platformio depends on python-ajsonrpc, which depends on 
python-pytest-sanic.

  guix shell python-ajsonrpc
14.4 MB will be downloaded
  guile-3.0.9-debug  6.8MiB                           2.9MiB/s 00:02 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/sm87710ng5piz8dcj521j8fld6l9266y-python-sanic-21.12.1.drv
   
/gnu/store/9vv8s6ay7276k3n5jpv860ga1lx4b2h8-python-sanic-testing-22.3.0.drv
   
/gnu/store/i1f18bd1fp8c4vkml6wq3b6v46pih486-python-sanic-bootstrap-21.12.1.drv
   
/gnu/store/rwdqskbgw48bvjdjglx6wiigxfml6zrl-python-pytest-sanic-1.9.1.drv
   /gnu/store/09ymhk66i5g318hxfvc13lv4gi6wkg6i-python-quart-0.17.0.drv
   /gnu/store/pdbvgh7dkc3qm7v1iaxsz4gzay2nxb2p-python-ajsonrpc-1.2.0.drv

32.3 MB will be downloaded
  python-pycparser-2.21-doc  19KiB                    1.0MiB/s 00:00 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  glibc-2.35  9.3MiB                                  6.3MiB/s 00:01 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  gzip-1.12  83KiB                                    2.6MiB/s 00:00 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  glibc-2.35-static  1.6MiB                           5.6MiB/s 00:00 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  libfontenc-1.1.4  14KiB                             4.7MiB/s 00:00 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  glibc-2.35-debug  19.3MiB                           6.5MiB/s 00:03 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  mkfontscale-1.2.2  20KiB                            3.9MiB/s 00:00 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  texinfo-6.8  1.3MiB                                 4.0MiB/s 00:00 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
  mkfontdir-1.0.7  4KiB                               798KiB/s 00:00 
▕██████████████████▏ 100.0%
building 
/gnu/store/rwdqskbgw48bvjdjglx6wiigxfml6zrl-python-pytest-sanic-1.9.1.drv...
- 'sanity-check' phasebuilder for 
`/gnu/store/rwdqskbgw48bvjdjglx6wiigxfml6zrl-python-pytest-sanic-1.9.1.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of 
/gnu/store/rwdqskbgw48bvjdjglx6wiigxfml6zrl-python-pytest-sanic-1.9.1.drv 
failed
View build log at 
'/var/log/guix/drvs/rw/dqskbgw48bvjdjglx6wiigxfml6zrl-python-pytest-sanic-1.9.1.drv.gz'.
building 
/gnu/store/09ymhk66i5g318hxfvc13lv4gi6wkg6i-python-quart-0.17.0.drv...
cannot build derivation 
`/gnu/store/sm87710ng5piz8dcj521j8fld6l9266y-python-sanic-21.12.1.drv': 
1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix shell: error: build of 
`/gnu/store/sm87710ng5piz8dcj521j8fld6l9266y-python-sanic-21.12.1.drv' 
failed

I think the problem is related to this:

https://github.com/yunstanford/pytest-sanic/issues/68

In my own tests I modified the package with this:

(arguments
      ;; Tests depend on python-sanic.
      `(#:tests? #f
        #:phases (modify-phases %standard-phases
		    (add-after 'unpack 'fix-websocket-version
                     ;; 
https://github.com/yunstanford/pytest-sanic/issues/60
                     (lambda _
                       ;; Fixing websocket version required
                       (substitute* "setup.py"
                         (("websockets>=9.1,<11.0")
                          "websockets>=9.1"))))
        )))

The package was built OK but I am not sure if this workaround is OK. 
Best regards.