Subject: bug#67535: Does anyone use i686-linux? [was Re: bug#67535: ci.guix.gnu.org 'Cannot allocate memory' while building for i686-linux]

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2024 21:59:42 +0900

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2024 at 08:56:33PM +0900, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>> I was about to write this; thanks for be6g faster :-).  I believe the
>> unpacking should now be fine even for i686, Leo?
>
> Yes, it's working now! Fantastic!

Great.  That said, I wouldn't be against stopping building i686 packages
on our build farm.  Nobody has shown much interested in fixing the
broken ones or hunting down test failures... it seems better to focus
our energy elsewhere and clear the view in my opinion (such as old bugs
on our bug tracker that lingers on)

So I'd be of the opinion to:

1) Stop building i686 packages
2) Otherwise preserve the architecture in Guix source so that someone
can at least build from source and hack on it if they wish, e.g. to test
cross-building packages.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim