Subject: bug#67535: Does anyone use i686-linux? [was Re: bug#67535: ci.guix.gnu.org 'Cannot allocate memory' while building for i686-linux]

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2024 11:42:41 +0200

André Batista <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > Keeping this to i686-linux specifically, what generation of hardware
>> > supports i686 but not x86_64? Some (very) quick checking on wikipedia
>> > suggests that the x60 from 2006 was either 32-bit or 64-bit, and I
>> > believe there was an atom chip from 2015 that was 32-bit. Specifically,
>> > that makes the newest hardware (at least from the CPU perspective) 10
>> > years old at least.
>> 
>> FWIW, I'm using one of those Atom chips in a netbook for an installation
>> of Sugar Desktop.  I upgrade it every few months or so.  If I'm the only
>> user of i686-linux I would not want to condemn the project to supporting
>> the architecture for my sake.
>
> For the record, I'm another one still using those atom netbooks.

I just noticed that my Atom-powered netbook should also be able to run
an x86_64 system.  I'll try to upgrade today; if this is successful I
won't have any i686 system left at home.

-- 
Ricardo