Subject: Re: Does anyone use i686-linux? [was Re: bug#67535: ci.guix.gnu.org 'Cannot allocate memory' while building for i686-linux]

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2024 00:49:45 +0300

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 02:51:49PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> For a long time we've not been able to build linux-libre on i686-linux
> because the source unpacking process runs out of memory.

I believe if we limit the unpacking process to not more than 8 cores we
can avoid that problem.

> I'm forwarding this bug to guix-devel to get more attention.
> 
> Is anybody actually using i686-linux anymore? Or should we begin to
> officially remove support for it?

Keeping this to i686-linux specifically, what generation of hardware
supports i686 but not x86_64? Some (very) quick checking on wikipedia
suggests that the x60 from 2006 was either 32-bit or 64-bit, and I
believe there was an atom chip from 2015 that was 32-bit. Specifically,
that makes the newest hardware (at least from the CPU perspective) 10
years old at least.

Perhaps a different question, what software _available in Guix_ is
supported by i686 that isn't supported by x86_64?

In terms of side-stepping the question, do we have enough x86_64
hardware to continue to support i686 without degrading support for
x86_64? (I ask this seriously, although I'm pretty certain the answer is
we're well covered on that front.)

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted