Subject: bug#67527: 30.0.50; FR: Add an option to disable ispell completion in text-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:23:29 +0200

On 16/12/2023 11:34, Daniel Mendler wrote:
> On 12/16/23 09:37, Eshel Yaron wrote:
>> I surveyed a bunch of user configurations online, and saw that it is not
>> that uncommon for people to globally enable automatic completion pop ups
>> with company and corfu.  As Eason Huang reports, the new
>> `ispell-completion-at-point` probably makes such pop ups rather noisy.
>>
>> I see that Dmitry (CC'd) already addressed this in company (by skipping
>> this capf).  I suppose corfu could do something along the same lines
>> (CC'ing Daniel as well)...  Do you guys think that's a reasonable remedy?
> Corfu does not modify the completion-at-point-functions variable itself.
> It leaves that to the users and major mode authors.

I think that's okay: company skips this capf because it has another 
completion source configured by default (which also "will always popup 
the candidate when I input English charectors").

Corfu doesn't and follows the current CAPF configuration. In which case 
showing the ispell results seems reasonable. Though of course some might 
not like that. I don't know whether that merits a new user option.