Subject: Re: [bug#67516] [PATCH] aclocal: handle both # and dnl for serial number lines

From: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 20:00:06 -0500

On 01 Dec 2023 16:10, Karl Berry wrote:
>     without realizing it's basically silently ignored.  if we don't want
>     to support dnl, we should prob be chatty about it at some log level.
> 
> The "Serials" node in the manual only mentions "#". I guess I don't see
> a need to go out of our way to do anything else, given that this was the
> only report about it (and the OP's email now bounces). --thanks, karl.

i tend to see it as "if one person took the time to track us down and
complain, then chances are there's more who didn't".  which means some
people tried dnl, noticed, fought the system, then figured it out.  imo
if the diagnostics are easy & cheap to add, then saving a few people a
bit of pain is nice, especially when it's a common practice we adopt,
and not just this one thing in isolation.

all that said, i'm not interested in writing the patch for this particular
issue, especially when manual serial management is uncommon, and i rarely
do it myself.
-mike