Subject: bug#67474: closed (Re: bug#67474: 29.1; Buggy example in manual)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:05:01 +0000

Your bug report

#67474: 29.1; Buggy example in manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67474: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67474
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67474: 29.1; Buggy example in manual
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: silarakta <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:04:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:01:07 +0000
> From:  silarakta via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> In Customization > Key Bindings > Init Rebinding ("50.3.6 Rebinding Keys in Your Init File"), the last example reads:
> 
>      (add-hook 'texinfo-mode-hook
>                (lambda ()
>                  (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c p"
>                              'backward-paragraph)
>                  (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c n"
>                              'forward-paragraph)))
>                  (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c C-x x" nil)
> 
> Parentheses in the second-to-last line are misplaced.
> Corrected example:
> 
>      (add-hook 'texinfo-mode-hook
>                (lambda ()
>                  (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c p"
>                              'backward-paragraph)
>                  (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c n"
>                              'forward-paragraph)
>                  (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c C-x x" nil)))
> 

Thanks, fixed on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.1; Buggy example in manual
From: silarakta <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:01:07 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In Customization > Key Bindings > Init Rebinding ("50.3.6 Rebinding Keys in Your Init File"), the last example reads:

     (add-hook 'texinfo-mode-hook
               (lambda ()
                 (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c p"
                             'backward-paragraph)
                 (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c n"
                             'forward-paragraph)))
                 (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c C-x x" nil)

Parentheses in the second-to-last line are misplaced.
Corrected example:

     (add-hook 'texinfo-mode-hook
               (lambda ()
                 (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c p"
                             'backward-paragraph)
                 (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c n"
                             'forward-paragraph)
                 (keymap-set texinfo-mode-map "C-c C-x x" nil)))

    Sila

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101009
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --without-hesiod --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5 --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-modules --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --with-file-notification=yes
 --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-webp --with-xft
 --with-imagemagick --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-pgtk
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --x-includes=/usr/include
 --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo
 --with-xwidgets --build=x86_64-suse-linux --with-dumping=pdumper
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
 -fstack-clash-protection -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -g
 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign
 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
 -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\''' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE
XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  windmove-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils windmove shortdoc text-property-search
info-look help-fns radix-tree misearch multi-isearch mule-util jka-compr
disp-table autoinsert cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
manoj-dark-theme recentf tree-widget wid-edit whitespace so-long hl-line
cus-load finder-inf comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-extra help-mode
preview-latex tex-site auto-complete-autoloads epc-autoloads
ctable-autoloads concurrent-autoloads f-autoloads ht-autoloads info
dash-autoloads lv-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads popup-autoloads
pos-tip-autoloads python-environment-autoloads deferred-autoloads
s-autoloads spinner-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
delsel lpr easy-mmode pcase iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 231239 14808)
 (symbols 48 14043 0)
 (strings 32 54404 3256)
 (string-bytes 1 1684190)
 (vectors 16 29646)
 (vector-slots 8 615371 22076)
 (floats 8 142 327)
 (intervals 56 4968 0)
 (buffers 984 15))