Subject: 30.0.50; prog-fill-reindent-defun does not respect buffer-local fill-paragraph-function

From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 22:08:30 +0100

There seems to be a regression introduced with function
`prog-fill-reindent-defun' from commit b889eced4449.  To see the
difference in behavior, start

  emacs -Q test.mk

with attached test.mk and try filling (with M-q) the paragraphs starting
with "FOO = ..." and "foo: ..." both in Emacs 29 and in Emacs 30.  With
Emacs 29, I get as result:

------------------------- test.mk -------------------------
FOO = barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar;	\
	barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar	\
	barbarbarbar; foobarbaz

foo: ; barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar;	\
	barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar barbarbarbar	\
	barbarbarbar; foobarbaz
------------------------- test.mk -------------------------

In Emacs 30, M-q does not have any effect on the paragraphs.

My analysis:

- In Emacs 29, M-q is bound to `fill-paragraph' in makefile-mode buffers
  through global bindings.  That function respects the makefile-mode
  specific setting of `fill-paragraph-function':

    ;; Filling.
    (setq-local fill-paragraph-function 'makefile-fill-paragraph)

- In Emacs 30, M-q is bound to `prog-fill-reindent-defun' in
  makefile-mode buffers through `prog-mode-map'.  That function does not
  care about any buffer-local values of `fill-paragraph-function'
  outside of comments and strings.

Personally, I find the filling done by `makefile-fill-paragraph'
questionable, and I really don't use it.  But others probably care more,
in particular for modes having implementations of
`fill-paragraph-function' that actually do something useful on code ...

A possible fix might look like this:

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/prog-mode.el b/lisp/progmodes/prog-mode.el
index 37c54a90f42..1bb2b678d94 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/prog-mode.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/prog-mode.el
@@ -163,7 +163,8 @@ prog-fill-reindent-defun
                 (treesit-parser-list)
                 (treesit-node-match-p
                  (treesit-node-at (point)) 'text t))))
-      (if (or treesit-text-node
+      (if (or (local-variable-p 'fill-paragraph-function)
+              treesit-text-node
               (nth 8 (syntax-ppss))
               (re-search-forward "\\s-*\\s<" (line-end-position) t))
           (fill-paragraph argument (region-active-p))

I can provide a patch along those lines, but a "wontfix" is also fine
with me.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-11-26 built on sappc2
Repository revision: ea4c5fcd77257d7a7c050714b809b1507d93a6ef
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-native-compilation --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_TIME: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jschmidt/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20231123.2131/transient hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/transient
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-processing hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-processing
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-element
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/oc-bibtex hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/oc-bibtex
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-koma-letter hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-koma-letter
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-gnus hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-gnus
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-persist hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-persist
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-eww hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-eww
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-info hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-info
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-rmail hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-rmail
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/oc-basic hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/oc-basic
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-forth hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-forth
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-mhe hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-mhe
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-docview hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-docview
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-man hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-man
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-cycle hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-cycle
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-lint hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-lint
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-id
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-bbdb hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-bbdb
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-groovy hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-groovy
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-goto hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-goto
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-eshell hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-eshell
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-num hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-num
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/oc-csl hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/oc-csl
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-list
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-keys hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-keys
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-tempo hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-tempo
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-refile hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-refile
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-attach-git hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-attach-git
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-duration hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-duration
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-fold hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-fold
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-bibtex hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-bibtex
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/oc-biblatex hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/oc-biblatex
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-w3m hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-w3m
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-src
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-sed hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-sed
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-lua hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-lua
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-doi hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-doi
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-julia hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-julia
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-version hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-version
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-table
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ol-irc hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ol-irc
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-eshell hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-eshell
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-fold-core hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-fold-core
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/oc-natbib hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/oc-natbib
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ob-shell hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ob-shell
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/oc hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/oc
/home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides /home/jschmidt/work/emacs-master/lisp/org/org-ctags

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run comp-common rx time delsel cus-load
advice finder-inf git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads transient-autoloads info compat-autoloads
xr-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 131427 11427) (symbols 48 10928 0)
 (strings 32 40700 4994) (string-bytes 1 1376609)
 (vectors 16 23122) (vector-slots 8 386746 15291)
 (floats 8 39 21) (intervals 56 278 0) (buffers 984 11))