Subject: bug#67455: (Record source position, etc., in doc strings, and use this in *Help* and backtraces.)

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:38:14 +0000

Hello, Eli and Stefan.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 14:31:02 +0000, GNU bug Tracking System wrote:
> Thank you for filing a new bug report with debbugs.gnu.org.

[ .... ]

I've just pushed a large commit to feature/positioned-lambdas, a work
in progress commit for bug#67455, putting source position information at
the start of doc strings.  master was merged into it just before the
commit.

The main topic of the commit is putting position information into
interpreted functions, and into lambda forms created at run time.

Still missing is position information for defvars and defconsts, along
with the same for cl-defmethods (which are complicated because the doc
string has no fixed position).  Also missing is the handling of
Oclosures.  There are also some diagnostic functions still in
byte-run.el, as they are still useful.

As yet, I'm not doing anything with this information, though I
anticipate that will be quite easy.  

This commit, although it works, is unfinished, and still contains quite
a few of my private change annotations, and lots of temporary changes to
enable useful backtraces to be produced.  make check runs without any
errors.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).