Subject: Re: bug#67455: (Record source position, etc., in doc strings, and use this in *Help* and backtraces.)

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:53:56 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 02:56:20 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

[ .... ]

> Byte compiling is appreciably slower on this branch than on master.
> make bootstrap is taking me nearly 7 minutes compared with master's
> 4min 40sec.  Running make -j17 check is taking 1min 50sec rather than
> 50sec.  Once compiled, the code runs at the same speed, though.

> I think this issue needs sorting out first.

I think I know now why this is.  I put a call to
byte-run-strip-symbol-positions into readevalloop_eager_expand_eval to
get the thing to build.  This is probably the cause of the slowdown.

It is also surely what is stripping positions from non-function lambdas.

This call needs to be taken out, and other things which need it (e.g.
Fdefalias) fixed.

> >         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).