Subject: Re: bug#6745: 24.0.50; vc-annotate should allow to configure the width of blame info

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 21:46:51 +0300

On 09.05.2022 19:16, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> To allow regularisation (and user customisation) of the output, I think
> we'd have to redo that completely.  Instead the backends would dump the
> output to a temp dir,

               ^ temp buffer, probably

> we'd parse it completely, add it to some
> structure, and then output the data into a buffer in the format we want.
> (Something that looks a bit like tabulated-list-mode, but where the user
> can, for instance, use commands to make columns disappear and appear as
> they wish.)
> 
> I think that's more than doable, and worth doing.
> 
> I wonder whether anybody's had any concrete ideas in this direction
> before (so I've added Dmitry to the CCs).

IIRC there was a similar or related issue where Stefan M. suggested a 
similar course of action.

Nobody has taken up the work yet, though.