Subject: 30.0.50; Emacs crashes on xwidget-webkit-browse-url

From: Arthur Elsenaar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 23:41:57 +0000

--text follows this line--
After emacs -Q:

When I Eval: (xwidget-webkit-browse-url "https://www.example.com")

Emacs crashes.
It used to work fine, a recent compilation or system update might have caused the crash. The debug info below reports GDK cannot create a GL context. However, a quick OpenGL test with glxgears runs just fine.

Here is the debug info:

emacs q          
Overriding existing handler for signal 10. Set JSC_SIGNAL_FOR_GC if you want WebKit to use a different signal

** (emacs:97127): ERROR **: 20:42:37.812: GDK is not able to create a GL context: The current backend does not support OpenGL.
Fatal error 5: Trace/breakpoint trap
Backtrace:
emacs(emacs_backtrace+0x58)[0x55b50042be08]
emacs(terminate_due_to_signal+0x89)[0x55b500313dae]
emacs(+0x8b2f9)[0x55b5003142f9]
emacs(+0x1a0e9d)[0x55b500429e9d]
emacs(+0x1a0f8f)[0x55b500429f8f]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x42520)[0x7f6cfb042520]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_log_structured_array+0x11f)[0x7f6d042c2cef]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_log_default_handler+0xb9)[0x7f6d042c2fb9]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_logv+0x21a)[0x7f6d042c441a]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_log+0x93)[0x7f6d042c4703]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0xd55bb7)[0x7f6d00555bb7]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0xd570f8)[0x7f6d005570f8]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0xd5724b)[0x7f6d0055724b]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0x87dfee)[0x7f6d0007dfee]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0xad8b1b)[0x7f6d002d8b1b]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0xbe5837)[0x7f6d003e5837]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0xad0985)[0x7f6d002d0985]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37(+0xad2762)[0x7f6d002d2762]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18(+0x16b9cfd)[0x7f6cff0b9cfd]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18(+0x1717e2d)[0x7f6cff117e2d]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18(+0x1718773)[0x7f6cff118773]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_dispatch+0x174)[0x7f6d042bbc44]
emacs(xg_select+0x6b8)[0x55b500554828]
emacs(wait_reading_process_output+0x137f)[0x55b5004fe21f]
emacs(sit_for+0xb4)[0x55b500328934]
emacs(read_char+0x2bef)[0x55b50041ae9f]
emacs(+0x19276e)[0x55b50041b76e]
emacs(+0x1948b0)[0x55b50041d8b0]
emacs(internal_condition_case+0x77)[0x55b500499c07]
emacs(command_loop_2+0x2a)[0x55b50040790a]
emacs(internal_catch+0x49)[0x55b500499b49]
emacs(+0x17e8a6)[0x55b5004078a6]
emacs(recursive_edit_1+0x98)[0x55b50040fc48]
emacs(Frecursive_edit+0xd4)[0x55b500410014]
emacs(main+0x1ead)[0x55b50031d6dd]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x29d90)[0x7f6cfb029d90]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x80)[0x7f6cfb029e40]
emacs(_start+0x25)[0x55b50031dc25]
[1]    97127 trace trap (core dumped)  emacs q

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-11-24 built on lae
Repository revision: 2fca889cfb4fa495a6ffa0c7fe368551ee9a32bc
Repository branch: master
System Description: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-cairo --with-file-notification=inotify --with-gnutls
 --with-harfbuzz --with-json --with-mailutils --with-native-compilation
 --with-pgtk --with-tree-sitter=ifavailable --with-xwidgets
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xinput2 --with-x=yes'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK
PNG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  global-jinx-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  bbww-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  consult-org-roam-mode: t
  org-roam-db-autosync-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  persistent-scratch-autosave-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  puni-global-mode: t
  puni-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/artelse/.config/emacs/aemacs/elpa/transient-20231123.2131/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug magit-base crm goto-addr view mule-util
conf-mode eglot external-completion jsonrpc xref flymake diff ert ewoc
debug backtrace imenu highlight-indent-guides display-line-numbers
vc-git diff-mode jinx visual-fill-column org-indent org-appear
completion-preview ws-butler mixed-pitch image-file image-converter
oc-basic ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi embark-org embark-consult embark ffap
thingatpt init exec-path-from-shell pixel-scroll cua-base mpdel
mpdel-browser libmpdel-directory mpdel-playlist mpdel-tablist mpdel-song
mpdel-core navigel tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet libmpdel
tq time-stamp password-store auth-source-pass with-editor server conda
eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util pythonic f f-shortdoc tramp trampver
tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat shell parse-time iso8601
tramp-loaddefs yasnippet ellama spinner llm-ollama llm-request llm
org-roam-ui org-roam-dailies simple-httpd websocket bindat comp
comp-cstr org-present ob-python python project treesit adaptive-wrap
nano-modeline modus-operandi-theme modus-themes olivetti face-remap
powerthesaurus jeison s pcre2el rxt re-builder visual-regexp rg files-x
vc vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack rg-ibuffer ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs rg-menu rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header
grep golden-ratio advice winner repeat accent popup puni pulse color
elec-pair aggressive-indent bbww mwim which-key corfu diminish
consult-org-roam consult-org-roam-buffer consult bookmark
org-roam-migrate org-roam-log org-roam-mode org-roam-capture org-roam-id
org-roam-node org-roam-db emacsql-sqlite-builtin sqlite org-roam-utils
org-roam-compat org-roam org-capture org-element org-persist xdg
avl-tree generator org-attach org-id org-refile emacsql-sqlite
emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-section
cursor-sensor dash marginalia orderless vertico move-text delsel
pcap-mode dired-single warnings mm-archive message sendmail yank-media
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls
network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny compile
text-property-search comp-run comp-common epg rfc6068 epg-config
autorevert filenotify desktop frameset saveplace savehist recentf
tree-widget persistent-scratch no-littering org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version
org-compat org-macs use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-core
finder-inf accent-autoloads adaptive-wrap-autoloads
aggressive-indent-autoloads bbww-autoloads conda-autoloads
consult-org-roam-autoloads corfu-candidate-overlay-autoloads
corfu-autoloads diminish-autoloads dired-preview-autoloads
dired-single-autoloads ellama-autoloads embark-consult-autoloads
consult-autoloads embark-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads golden-ratio-autoloads helpful-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads highlight-indent-guides-autoloads jinx-autoloads
llm-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads mixed-pitch-autoloads
move-text-autoloads mpdel-autoloads libmpdel-autoloads mwim-autoloads
nano-modeline-autoloads navigel-autoloads no-littering-autoloads
olivetti-autoloads orderless-autoloads org-appear-autoloads
org-download-autoloads async-autoloads org-present-autoloads
org-roam-ui-autoloads org-roam-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads pass-autoloads password-store-otp-autoloads
password-store-autoloads pcap-mode-autoloads pcre2el-autoloads
persistent-scratch-autoloads popup-autoloads powerthesaurus-autoloads
transient cl-extra help-mode format-spec edmacro kmacro compat
jeison-autoloads puni-autoloads easy-mmode pythonic-autoloads
f-autoloads dash-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads rg-autoloads s-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads spinner-autoloads substitute-autoloads
surround-autoloads tablist-autoloads tempel-collection-autoloads
tempel-autoloads transient-autoloads vc-use-package-autoloads
vertico-autoloads visual-fill-column-autoloads visual-regexp-autoloads
websocket-autoloads wgrep-autoloads which-key-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads ws-butler-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars early-init cus-edit pp cus-load icons
wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib chemacs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 921057 959405) (symbols 48 49994 1)
 (strings 32 223986 127461) (string-bytes 1 6594886)
 (vectors 16 94788) (vector-slots 8 2399043 1492823)
 (floats 8 885 7976) (intervals 56 12027 1442) (buffers 992 39))

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
--- Arthur Elsenaar PhD
--- artist /researcher
--- electro-facial choreography
--- artifacial.org
--- message me on Signal.org
--- ---
--- ArtScience Interfaculty
--- Royal Academy of Art /
--- Royal Conservatory
--- The Hague, Netherlands

---> huh,  what's that file? It's my public cryptographic key.