Subject: Re: bug#67393: 29.1; Slow to open file if autosave exists

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 19:34:51 +0200

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 17:18:42 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > And having said that, I'm not sure this is a good idea even if we
> > present enough context.  For starters, many messages must be acted
> > upon immediately.
> 
> I'd argue that messages that _must_ be acted, should not be messages.
> They should query user for action instead of blocking Emacs and not
> allowing to do anything other than C-g.

You do realize that this is contrary to everything we currently do in
Emacs, right?  We should the messages that must be acted upon
immediately, and use sit-for to make sure the user sees the message
and has an opportunity to act upon it.  The message which started this
discussion was just like that: it informed the user that an autosave
file exists, so the user should consider using it.

> > Thanks, but this would mean a complete redesign of the Emacs messaging
> > UI.  This kind of display no longer fits the mini-window paradigm we
> > are using, it will need a separate large enough window for showing
> > series of messages (in which case we don't need to much wizardry to
> > scroll through them and selectively delete them).  Do we really want
> > to make such drastic changes in our UI?
> 
> I believe that such changes would be helpful.

Maybe so, but this will be an entirely different UX, and probably an
entirely different Emacs.