Subject: Re: bug#67393: 29.1; Slow to open file if autosave exists

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 19:49:26 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> AFAIU, the only difference is that `sit-for' will block Emacs, while the
>> proposed multiline echo will not. Is absence of blocking what you are
>> concerned about?
>
> No, I'm concerned with the span of user's attention when presented
> with multiple unrelated messages in several lines.

Then, the "important" messages should be written in such a way that they
can be understood later, away from the immediate context of the message
trigger.

>> As an alternative idea, important messages may have an option to be
>> accumulated forever, until explicitly dismissed. Just like
>> (notifications-notify :title "Very important message" :timeout 0)
>
> How is this better than waiting for a second?

1. Waiting for a second creates a temptation to press C-g without
   thinking and get the original message replaced with "Quit".

2. The message can be read later (not just within one second). For
   example after a distraction in RL and being away from Emacs or a
   short moment.

>> do you have something specific in mind about collecting the
>> experience?
>
> Use them for some unimportant messages until we have enough experience
> and can make intelligent decisions.

Any specific messages in mind?
If not, we may ask the users of set-multi-message.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>