Subject: Re: bug#67393: 29.1; Slow to open file if autosave exists

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 19:03:00 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It would be nicer to prepend this error message to any last displayed
>> message during these 5 seconds.
>
> We don't really know whether doing that will be effective.  Given N
> lines of messages in the echo-area, what are the chances that the user
> will see all of them, or even the most important one(s)?

AFAIU, the only difference is that `sit-for' will block Emacs, while the
proposed multiline echo will not. Is absence of blocking what you are
concerned about?

As an alternative idea, important messages may have an option to be
accumulated forever, until explicitly dismissed. Just like
(notifications-notify :title "Very important message" :timeout 0)

> IOW, we don't have any real experience with this kind of UI.  We need
> to collect such experience first, before we conclude that this could
> be used as an alternative to sit-for.

May we use the known experience with OS notifications?
If not, do you have something specific in mind about collecting the
experience?

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>