Subject: bug#6739: closed (Re: bug#6739: 24.0.50; hang in *VC-log* -- redisplaying?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#6739: 24.0.50; hang in *VC-log* -- redisplaying?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6739: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6739
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6739: 24.0.50; hang in *VC-log* -- redisplaying?
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 04:13:35 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] wrote:

>    In emacs built from git on 17-July (on openSUSE GNU/Linux 11.0), I am
> experiencing frequent hanging in *VC-log* buffers.  In a fresh *VC-log*
> buffer, as soon as I type "SPC RET", the cursor disappears and I get no
> response.  Typing C-g restores control, though sometimes I have to C-g
> twice or more.  It appears to be a display problem, as the display
> updates to reflect keystrokes typed before the C-g -- and sometimes the
> first C-g will update the display partway, and the next will update it
> more.

Perhaps this was a duplicate of bug#6343. That was supposedly fixed on
July 12, but I have no idea if whatever git repository you were using
was up-to-date.

If you still see the issue, please reply and we can reopen this if
needed.

Subject: 24.0.50; hang in *VC-log* -- redisplaying?
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:43:51 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

   In emacs built from git on 17-July (on openSUSE GNU/Linux 11.0), I am
experiencing frequent hanging in *VC-log* buffers.  In a fresh *VC-log*
buffer, as soon as I type "SPC RET", the cursor disappears and I get no
response.  Typing C-g restores control, though sometimes I have to C-g
twice or more.  It appears to be a display problem, as the display
updates to reflect keystrokes typed before the C-g -- and sometimes the
first C-g will update the display partway, and the next will update it
more.

   Burying or killing the *VC-log* buffer makes the problem go away.
Same with deleting the initial SPC character, which appears to be
necessary.

   I have had no luck tracking this down any further.  Setting
debug-on-quit not only does not enter the debugger, it sometimes seems
to cause emacs to hang indefinitely.  I assume the next step would be to
start emacs under gdb, but I am not familiar enough with redisplay (or
gdb for that matter) to know what to look for.  Any help would be
appreciated.

					-- Bob Rogers
					   http://www.rgrjr.com/